U3A in East Suffolk eBulletins
Short news bulletins, published monthly and distributed to members by email. To view an archive of past editions, click here. These are the most recent editions
- 10 Aug 2019: Handbook Corrections, Membership Card, Open Day, Group News and other items
- 10 July 2019: New Handbook and Membership Card, Open Day, Groups News and other.
- 13 June 2019: AGM Outcomes, Renewal of Membership, Groups News and more.
- 15 May 2019: May Newsletter, Renewal of Membership, AGM, Speaker Meetings, Groups News and more.
- 15 April 2019: Woodbridge Speaker Meetings, Groups Finance, AGM, Speaker Meetings, Groups News and more.
U3A in East Suffolk Newsletter
Members' articles, reports from groups and events, pictures, and stories. Produced 3 times a year and distributed to all members, by email when possible. To view an archive of past editions, click here.
U3A in East Suffolk Annual General Meeting
The AGM will be held on Monday 10 June 2019 at 2pm in Kesgrave Community Centre (Twelve Acres Approach, Bell Lane, Kesgrave IP5 1JF). The number 66 bus from Ipswich and Martlesham passes the door every 15-20 minutes.
With effect from 1 March 2019, the Membership Secretary is Trevor Elliott, and the address for correspondence is:
U3A Membership Secretary
PO Box 1111
We Would Very Much Appreciate Your Help
U3A in East Suffolk is a thriving organisation, one of the most active U3As in the country. As a self-help operation, we rely on a willing team of volunteers to keep things running smoothly. The work is interesting and sociable. Please click here to learn more about immediate vacancies and positions starting June 2019.
2018-2019 Handbook amendments and additions
The 2018-2019 Handbook is posted to all subscribed members.
- List of amendments and additions to the Members' Handbook and Programme 2018-2019. (This page is continually updated)
PO Box address for the Membership Secretary
All postal correspondence for the Membership Secretary should be sent to this address:
U3A East Suffolk Membership Secretary
PO Box 1111
Please note that any correspondence sent to the previous Woodbridge PO Box will continue to be delivered until September 2019, but after that date will not be delivered to U3A, and may be returned by Royal Mail.
U3A membership and standing-order forms are revised from time to time, and the latest versions can always be downloaded here.
Archive of older news items
- Celebration of 1,000 U3As. The video recording of the Celebration of 1,000 U3As is now available to view on the U3A YouTube Channel, with contributions by Pam Jones, Baroness d'Souza, Canterbury U3A Choir, Eric Midwinter and Samantha Mauger.
- Strategic Review 2016. During the latter part of 2016, a thorough strategic review of the current status and future challenges for the U3A in East Suffolk was carried out by the committee, chaired by Peter Bye, with additional advice provided by past chairmen Michael Matthews, John Midwinter, and Leslie Stringer. Members can access the Strategic Review 2016 by clicking here.
- Press coverage. East Anglian Daily Times, Tuesday 30 August 2016: "I knew nobody ... but that soon changed when I joined U3A" JANETTE ROBINSON only joined the U3A to keep her 80-year-old mother company. But it has changed her life... Click here to view. © 2016 Archant Community Media Ltd. And click here for an archive of older press coverage.
- University of Suffolk in partnership wth U3A in Suffolk. The University of Suffolk and U3A in Suffolk have committed to work together to promote lifelong learning. University of Suffolk will help U3A to continue to deliver excellent learning opportunities for their members, and will host an annual joint lecture which will be of interest to the whole community. In addition, the University has announced that they will welcome U3A members in various ways, including: access to online academic journals; academic collaborations; and sports and fitness classes. Read on …
- Founder member Derek Barbanell honoured by HM Lord Lieutenant for Suffolk. At the 28th Annual General Meeting of U3A in East Suffolk, held on 13 June 2016, the Principal Guest was the HM Lord Lieutenant for Suffolk, Clare, Countess of Euston, who presented a lifetime achievement award to founder member Derek Barbanell. The citation address was delivered by Leslie Stringer, and can be read by clicking here.
- Connecting Communities is a transport service provided by Suffolk County Council designed to help people travel around the county of Suffolk who might not have access to a regular bus service. For more information, see our Contacts and Help webpage.
- See our Contacts and Help page for information about how to contact U3A in East Suffolk, and other items.
U3A in East Anglia
- National events.
- National U3A information.
- National U3A website: There is much information about the U3A on the national website, including news and more comprehensive lists of upcoming events in different parts of the country. To access all of the information, you will need to enter the Members’ Area of the Third Age Trust website. (For this you will need to create a national member's account; this is quick and easy to do, just click on 'Create Account' on the Third Age Trust website homepage www.u3a.org.uk and follow the instructions.)
- The Third Age Trust
- Resource Centre: The Resource Centre in the National Office of the Third Age Trust in Bromley has a collection of non-book material available for all U3A groups to borrow free of charge, except for the cost of return postage. There are DVDs, CDs, videos, slides and audiocassettes available in many subject areas. To access the online catalogue and other information click here.
- OpenLearn: Access free learning from the Open University.
- FutureLearn: Access free online courses from the Open University in partnership with more than 90 cultural and education institutions from around the world.